Saturday, July 30, 2011

Like a rocket, baby!

It may surprise you to read this, but recently, I did something totally crazy!  Well, crazy for me anyway.  I built a ROCKET STOVE!  Sounds cool, doesn't it?  It is cool, and I'm totally excited about it.  I must confess that I didn't do it alone, though.  My church women's group (The Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints) along with some very helpful husbands made it all possible.

The whole point of a rocket stove is to have a way to cook with very little fuel should you find yourself without power and a regular means of cooking.  Of course, I had to try it out, and my little punks were right in the middle of it!

 So here is the rocket stove with the fire going!
It only takes a few sticks to make a lot of heat.


 Our water is heating up, and we are excited
to cook up some mac n cheese!


 Let's hear it for boiling water:  Ooooh!  Ahhhh!


 In goes the macaroni.
(Or "mac-a-moi-ya" as one of my punks used to call it!


 Then we drained the macaroni and made the cheese sauce.
I know, the excitement is almost too much!


Believe it or not, they were very excited
 that we made lunch outside, on our rocket stove. 
Yeah, I'm a cool mom.


 Say "cheese!"


Or just take a big ol' bite!
Atleast I know we can live on mac n cheese if necessary!

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome!! I might be coming to you for advice whenever we get around to making our own!

    ReplyDelete