Thursday, March 31, 2011

"O" is for Octopus!

This week is "O" week.  We have been learning about the ocean and the octopus.  After making some octopus critters to hang on my already overly decorated fridge, and reading stories about the ocean, I decided to try something special for lunch.  It was an idea I found online and thought was too great not to try!  I'd like to share it with you!

Boiled Octopus!

Yes, I know!  My boys were a little freaked out too.  But, just like I told them, TRUST ME!

Here goes.  Step by step.  Are you ready?


Start with regular hot dogs.  The bun-length ones would be great too!


Slice through the hot dog, leaving an inch or so at the top.  Then rotate the hot dog 1/4 turn and repeat.  You will now have four sections.  Cut each section one more time so you have 8 legs.

Your octopi (that sounds so weird!  Why can't we just say "octopuses"?  Who makes these rules, anyway?) are now ready to be boiled.

Drop them in the boiling water.  Don't worry, they won't feel a thing!


The legs begin to curl up as they cook.  Honestly, I don't know how long I cooked them for.  I was making mac n cheese at the same time, so you get the idea.




TA-DA!  Boiled octopus, and if your kids are like mine, they will LOVE it!  I wish I had that green ketchup (do they still make that?) for them to dip it in because it would have looked like algae.


Brave octopus eating boy.


And look, here's another one!  Of course, it helps to always have chocolate milk to wash your octopus down with!


Their dinner conversation was almost as entertaining for me as the octopus was for them!

Jared:  I don't know if I'd eat REAL octopus.

Me:  Shawna has eaten it.  She liked it.

Jay:  I ate alligator before!

Jared:  What did it taste like?

Jay:  (pause)...  ALLIGATOR!

Jared just gave him a look.

A few minutes later:

Jay:  They're gooder with ketchup!

Jared:  You mean BETTER!

Jay:  NO...  GOODER!

What can I say?  I always have a reason to smile!






No comments:

Post a Comment